Spring is coming and I’m so looking forward to seeing colorful flowers around the house. I love flowers and plants and I dream of having a garden or a bigger balcony to dedicate more time to gardening. In fact, besides the pure pleasure of spending time taking care of something beautiful, gardening has many benefits.
Sometimes, what restrain us from starting something is the fear/doubt that it’s going to be complicated. That’s why Ann of A Green Hand will explain us how to start gardening and it’s health benefits. Here’s what she wrote for We Believe in Style.
Do you love flowers? Does the sight of butterflies and birds make you happy? Do you have some tiny plot? Maybe you have some extra money for pots? All these question point towards one beautiful idea: gardening.
Try creating your own little garden once! You will be surprised how easy it is to start. Gardening has tremendous health benefits. Read on as we’ll help you in every step.
Step 1. Find a suitable area. It’s very important to figure out the right spot to begin gardening. Not all areas are suitable. For instance, plants do not grow under the shade of a tree. Too dry or too wet areas may adversely affect plants. A clean place having ample amount of sunlight is what you need.
Step 2. Prepare the soil. To grow healthy plants, you need to prepare the soil accordingly. You may buy soil fertilizers. You can even create compost at home and save some money. Mixing just mud, sand, compost and mulch is often all that plants need. This may vary from plant to plant.
Step 3. Select the plants. This may seem the most difficult step of gardening. But here is a trick to ease you through this step. Simply step out to your nearest nursery. A mobile location app can help you locate nurseries/plant stores in your locality.
Visit the nursery and the professional will guide you. He/she will know the plants for the season. Gardening in spring varies from gardening in winter/fall. So a plant expert is the best assistance. Ask about how often to water, what sort of soil would suit and how to maintain them.
Step 4. Purchase some gardening tools. You don’t have to spend a lot at first.o All you would need are a pair of good pruners and a watering can. Do not overspend buying several tools at a go. Purchase tools depending upon your gardening necessity.
Step 5. Watering. You need to educate yourself regarding your plants. Without the basic knowledge you won’t be able to care for them. Not all types need regular watering. For example, rose plants require a moist soil. But if you over water them, it can be harmful. This is one reason why rose plants need well drained soil. It helps drain out the excess water.
Normally, soaking the soils twice is enough. You may water once early in the morning and once just before sundown.
Step 6. Garden maintenance. The maintenance routine for plants is not the same for all types. Some need special care to survive and blossom, while some just need to be watered once a day. A garden always has some little tasks to do.
You would need to spare 30-60 minutes daily for planting, weeding, dividing and cutting stalks.
Pests often harm plants adversely. Try out a few home tips and tricks for unwanted pests. For example, white vinegar is a great insect repellent. It can protect plants for those pests which eat up the leaves. Just put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it onto the leaves.
I know it may sound a bit demanding and the idea of dealing with pests is not appealing but keep on reading!
There are several advantages of gardening. Very few people are aware of the extensive health benefits that one can achieve simply through gardening.
- As you work in your garden, your body has a natural work-out session. You walk, bend, sit and stand multiple times. It aids in making your joints, muscles and bones stronger.
- Regularly watering your plants, sowing seeds and weeding are all physical exercises. Doing it in the morning religiously makes you fit to perform your everyday tasks.
- It enhances mental stability. Gardening is a great way to ward off depression and ensure mental balance. Older, retired individuals should definitely practice gardening for positivity and health.
- Spending time amidst beautiful flowers rejuvenates the mind and soul. As you watch colorful butterflies and greenery, your mind automatically de-stresses.
- Several serious health ailments can be corrected by gardening. People suffering from obesity, heart troubles, cancer, diabetes (Type 2) etc. can hugely benefit from gardening.
- Gardening has proven to be a boon. It is a key to lead a healthy and longer life. The little walk in the garden helps a lot. Moreover, the fresh oxygen intake amidst green plants feels like heaven.
- The tough work-life and the daily tension can be treated through gardening. You will forget all worries and be able to relax among the soothing garden atmosphere.
Gardening is an idea that can change your life. There comes a time when your plant bears the first bloom after all the labor and wait. That moment of joy is indescribable. It can only be experienced!
So, what do you think? Are you ready to start gardening? You will find other useful information on A Green Hand.